Monday, November 19, 2007

ryuichi sakamoto & christian fennesz: cendre

released: 2007
label: touch


"Cendre" marks the second collaborative effort between Japanese music whiz Ryuichi Sakomoto and Austrian electronic/IDM artist Christian Fennesz (the first being a 19-minute epic recorded live at the Auditorium della Parco Musica, for the Romaeuropa Festival). I first came across the name of Sakamoto when I bought issue #128 of "The Wire" and I have been intrigued ever since. But his albums are nowhere to be found here in Manila at that time (this was the early '90s). Then about three years ago I was finally able to get hold of "Moto.Tronic" (a best-of collection of sorts) and also some collaborations with David Sylvian. And the thing I liked most about those releases, namely the sombre piano pieces, are what you can find in "Cendre". That alone is reason enough to make this album an iPod staple (in mine at least).
Christian Fennesz is a different story, as I shamefully admit I have never heard of him before. I say "shamefully" because his contributions in this album (he is credited with guitar and "laptop") is truly a magnificent work of art. His drones and noises give Sakamoto's piano pieces a different dimension (although Sakamoto is also given "laptop" credits in the liner notes). And against what one might expect, he is not given the "backdrop" treatment here, but is rather prominent. Don't bother looking for Fennesz's guitar work though as they are buried under layers of effects - the guitar being utilized here more of a noise generating device rather than a "proper" instrument.
Now, it is with no shame that I admit that I have no formal musical training/lessons whatsoever so I cannot judge this album based on their musicianship - I mean I wouldn't be able to tell you what key they're playing, etc. And frankly, who cares? And there's no use trying to dissect this cd track by track as it would be better taken as a whole. I can only say how their music affects me. And that is being transported somewhere timeless and surreal, and yet it feels like home. Every time I listen to this cd I feel as though I'm in some old Italian hotel in broad daylight with the fluid sun rays penetrating the translucent white curtains, making every furniture glow. Strange description, yes, but certain Brian Eno tracks have the same effect on me. And I've never been to Italy. Maybe that's the appeal, for the music to take you somewhere you've never been nor ever will be. Somewhere very peaceful and melancholic, just like the music itself.

ryuichi sakamoto's official site
christian fennesz's official site

No comments: